OUR BREEDING PHILOSOPHY
A BIT ABOUT CURIO
THE GIRLS OF CURIO
THE BOYS OF CURIO
BOYS OF THE PAST
GIRLS OF THE PAST
HOUSETRAINING YOUR ITALIAN GREYHOUND
OUR FAVORITE LINKS and SOURCES OF INFORMATION for ITALIAN GREYHOUNDS
Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital is
offering a FREE 24 hours poison control hotline for pet owners and
veterinarians. 1+785-532-5679 is the number and the service has
been available since 1969. Dr Oehme, a vet and professor in toxicology and
pathology oversees the hotline.
Dr Oehme offers these suggestions
Be patient. The person answering the phone may have to take a few
to consult the vet on duty.
Call as soon as possible. Immediate attention might save your animal.
waiting to see if there is a reaction could cost your animal their life.
Have any product labels available for answers. The vet might need
milligrams and generic names.
Know your pet. Drooling could only mean he is thrilled to see you!
Know that the toxicologists are also taking calls from vets about other
animals and other problems, including those problems with large animals.
The Italian Greyhound is a curious creature,
and many are very bad about chewing on things they find around the yard or
home. It is very possible that what they decide to chew on is toxic.
For this reason, it's very important to make sure that household chemicals are
kept up, and that surfaces cleaned with cleaners are thoroughly dry before
allowing the dog back in the area. Another option is to use cleaners that
are non toxic and environmentally friendly.
- Antifreeze in ANY amount can and will usually kill your dog, or any
animal that ingests it. Unfortunately, one of the ingredients used in
most antifreeze products tastes sweet (ethelyne glycol), and so is very
attractive to dogs.
- House plants and plants used in the landscape can pose unique and
sometimes deadly hazards to your dog. A list of all toxic plants, in a list
from a-z, including common names, scientific names, and the form or level of
toxicity can be found at http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/
Use your "back" button on your browser to return to this page.
- Pesticides (insecticides and rodenticides), and fertilizers should
be kept away from all animals. Read your labels very carefully.
Limit the use of these chemicals as much as possible in any area where your
dog will spend time. If you are in an area you cannot control, washing
the dogs feet as soon as you leave that area is a very good idea. Do
not allow your dog to chew or play with leaves or grass unless you are SURE
it hasn't been treated with any sort of chemical.
- Cocoa mulch contains the same chemical found in cocoa that makes it
toxic to dogs. The aroma of this mulch is very attractive to
dogs. It should NOT be used in areas your dog will spend time
- Some common foods can be dangerous for dogs to consume. These
should be avoided at all costs.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa. Milk chocolate does not pose
the same threat, although it can cause stomach upset. The active
ingredient in fine dark chocolate, cooking chocolate and cocoa is toxic
to dogs. The same ingredient is in milk chocolate, but at a much
- Macadamia nuts
- Onions, shallots, garlic (in more than just a minute amount),
or any part of the allium family. These can cause liver failure.
- Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, or any product with
Aspartame in it.
- Grapes and raisins. These can cause kidney and liver
damage. Raisins are more toxic than grapes, as the drying process
intensifies the toxic substance.
- Tea bags and coffee grounds. The caffeine in these
products can cause gastric upset and hyperactivity.
- Raw salmon can carry a parasite that can be fatal if ingested
- Medications (over the counter and prescription) are as harmful to
dogs as to small children. Make sure medications (human and animal)
are kept out of reach.
Back to top